8 South Broadway | Grand Marais, MN 55604
Founded in 1924, the Cook County Historical Society operates five buildings: the Historical Society Museum (the 1896 Lighthouse Keeper’s House) since 1966; the Johnson Heritage Post (JHP) ; St. Francis Xavier’s Chippewa City Church; Bally Blacksmith Shop; and a 1930’s fish house replica. Alongside the fish house is the 35’ fishing tug, Neegee, built in 1935. All sites are located in the greater downtown Grand Marais area and are free to the public serving all of Cook County as well as our visitors. Other programs include: Passport into the Past is intended to educate elementary students about local history, Small Talks is a series of short history events. A quarterly newsletter the Overlook reaches more than 600 members.