Ah, the most visited spot on the shore – Split Rock Lighthouse. This century-old light sits atop a 130-foot cliff at Superior’s edge, once a beacon of safety for passing ships, now an icon for travelers. Born on the backs of the 29 ships damaged during the infamous storm of November 1905, the light was in use until 1969 when it and the adjacent scenic wayside became a state park.
Nearby Beaver Bay is the first organized European community along the shore. In mid-1856 the sidewheel steamer Illinois dropped anchor at the mouth of the Beaver River with 25 passengers, including the Wieland brothers, German immigrants who opened a sawmill that year.
3713 Split Rock Lighthouse Road | Two Harbors, MN 55616
Tour the lighthouse, fog-signal building, oil house and light-keeper’s house Learn more in the exhibit area in the visitors center which features a 22-minute film about the lighthouse Shop the museum store Take a guided tour Attend the annual Edmund… see more
Enjoy the eclectic mix of shops and restaurants, then stop by the cemetery and pay your respects to legendary North Shore mail carrie John Beargrease.
Stop by the new trailhead, check out the maps and make the short walk to admire views of the Beaver Falls, Beaver River, river mouth and bay.
For more Things To Do, click on specific choices under Activities, Attractions and Events