The society opened its first museum operation in the Duluth and Iron Range Railway Depot [D&IRR] in 1960; within this building are over 4,000 square feet of interpretative exhibits highlighting the chronological historical development of the Region and is home to the administrative offices of the Lake County Historical Society.
On permanent display outside the depot are D&IRR Locomotive #3, Ore Car #251, Caboose #22 and the DM&IR Mallet #229 Locomotive.
The Society's collection of artifacts includes almost 3,500 separate items. There is a collection of almost 5,000 photographs, mostly from pre-1930 and over 150 feet of manuscripts and archival material.
The Society operates 3 seasonal historic sites in Two Harbors: