In 1915 Clearwater Lake Lodge opened as the first resort on the Gunflint Trail. Originally, Charlie & Petra Boostrom set up tent platforms around a cabin and pitched tents for guests as they arrived. In 1922, Charlie began gathering logs for building Clearwater’s main lodge. In 1926 the lodge was completed, and included a dining room, a kitchen, a sitting area around a large stone hearth, and 14 rooms upstairs. The family occupied some of the rooms, while others were rented out to a steady stream of guests. Once the lodge was complete, Charlie began building smaller guest cabins around the property—four of which are still in use. Charlie built furniture during the winter months, creating many original pieces. The dining room tables and chairs, as well as the beautiful Diamond Willow furniture, are still used by the guests today.